Chania in Crete
Chania is the capital of the Chania regional unit and it is located at the west side of Crete. It is the second largest city in Crete after Heraklion and for many people the most beautiful. The diversity of this county makes it one of the most special and popular destinations in Greece. In this place there are lush vegetation, canyons, caves, lakes and unique piece of coast. At the same time, the city of Chania has remarkable historical interest and cultural tradition. Basically, it is a city with both intense picturesqueness and excellent infrastructure, and this combination is able to attract many Greek and foreign visitors.The modern city of Chania is built on the ruins of Ancient Kidonia. Also, Excavations show that the area was inhabited since Neolithic times and that it was one of the largest Minoan cities.
Best beaches in Chania:
In the regional unit of Chania there are beaches for all tastes. Some of them are quiet and not so popular, and some others are busy with all the necessary facilities. We recommend to you some bellow:
- Balos: Balos is undoubtedly one of the most spectacular beaches in Crete, if not in whole Greece. Basically, it is a lagoon created by the peninsula of Gramvousa and the cape Tigani. It is located close to Kissamos. The waters are crystal, clear, turquoise, shallow and the landscape exotic. You can get there by boat or by driving but you must be prepared to get tired because the road is dirt and also you must continue by foot for a while.
- Elafonisi: Elafonisi is located 75 km away from the city of Chania. It is an island that you can reach by walking into the sea! Undoubtedly it is one of the most popular and beautiful beaches of Crete so you must visit it. The water is shallow and blue and the sand is white with pink iridescence. For sure Elafonisi can be described as an exotic paradise in Greece.
- Falasarna: Another very popular beach of Crete which is located on the west side of the county. It is awarded as one of the best beaches not only in Greece, but also in Europe. The beach is huge with warm and clear waters. However, usually there are big waves so be careful.
- Agia Marina: One of the very popular at tourists beaches. It is just 6 km away from the city of Chania. It has many beach bars, taverns and clubs. The waters are very clean.
- Kedrodasos: Located near Elafonisi, Kedrodasos is a very special and alternative beach. It looks like an oasis. Cedars create shade so you don't need umbrellas and the water is green. Nearby you will find many deserted beaches if you want to isolate yourself and enjoy undisturbed the nature.
- Sougia: It is 67 km away from Chania. In this beach, the water is deep and the landscape impressive and ideal for exploring. In the sea there are caves. It has pebbles and sand in combination. If you are a fan of nudity this is the ideal beach for you.
- Domata: Domata is a deserted beach with untouched natural beauty which worths to be visited. The access to this place is not easy, because it is located near Sougia and the path you have to follow is quite difficult. The pure natural landscape will indemnify you.
- Marathi: A well known beach near Chania which is preferred by locals and not only. It is ideal for couples. It has shallow waters, fine sand and it is organized.
- Fragokastelo: The village of Fragokastelo is near to Sfakia and basically has 3 very different beaches to suit all tastes. The main beach is shallow and suitable for families. West of the castle, the beach is steeper with interesting seabed exploration. East of the castle you will meet the beach “Orthi Ammos” which is well known because of its dunes and its crystal clear waters.
What to do in Chania:
In Chania you can fill your time with experiences which will remain unforgettable. There, you will find several museums, archaeological places, caves and canyons. You can also arrange daily excursions. Below we suggest you some ideas and we hope to help you:
- Walk in the streets of Chania: Undoubtedly this will be a very interesting tour. You will meet a lot references of Venetian and Ottoman architecture combined with the traditional and picturesque greek view.
- Visit the fort of Firka at the Old Port of Chania: This is one of the most well known forts of Crete, which was created by Venetians in the port to face the attacks of the Ottomans. It is one of the main attractions of the area to visit. Also in the Venetian port of Chania you will find the lighthouse which is one of the symbols of the city, the shipyards and Yali Mosque which is the oldest Islamic building in Crete.
- Visit the tombs of Venizelos: The tombs of Eleftherios and his son Sophocles Venizelos are just 5 klm from the city and they are located in a green park with unique view worth seeing during your visit here.
- Visiting museums: In Chania you can visit many interesting museums such as the Folk Museum "Cretan House", the Archaeological Museum, the Maritime Museum and the municipal art gallery.
- Visit Monasteries: The fans of religious tourism in Chania should not miss to visit the Monastery of Agia Triada Tzagarolon, the Gouverneto Monastery, the Catholic Monastery and many other monasteries with special religious interest.
- Explore Caves: The caves of Crete are unique and some of the most interesting from a morphological perspective in Europe. At Chania you can see the cave of bear, of elephant, the cave of Agia Sofia, of Agios Ioannis, Kournas cave and more.
- Hiking at the gorge of Samaria: The gorge of Samaria or else “Faraggas” is the largest and most impressive gorge of Crete. You will walk 16 kilometers so it takes takes about six hours. Your passage through this is an experience you will never forget. In some places the path is difficult so it requires attention, but the magnificent view will reward you.
- Daily cruise to Gavdos: The boat departs everyday from Sfakia, with destination the calm island of Gavdos. There, you can spend your day as you wish, swim at incredible beaches and wander in the island.
- Watersports: Many beaches of Chania offer to you the opportunity to indulge in water sports. Agia Marina is a beach close to the city and ideal for the fans of water sports. Here you can try paraflight, kayak, fishing, and much more. Also the beaches Loutraki and Kalathas are ideal choices for you. Moreover in Chania you will find a fully equipped dive center for a different and safe experience.
Where to stay in Chania:
Chania has many options for your stay depending on what you want. You can choose from luxury apartments and villas to more economic proposals.
Our Hotel suggestions near Chania in Crete
Rent for Vacation Chania in Crete
Beaches, Restaurants, Bars near Chania in Crete
Explore more places in Halkidiki
Share this & let your friends know about where you are or where you plan to go next