Nafplio in Peloponnese
Nafplio is without any doubt one of the most beautiful and picturesque cities. It is the capital of Argolida and has little more than 14,000 residents. It is a very popular tourist destination throughout the year, both Greek and foreign visitors. It is one of the most common choices for a romantic and quiet holiday. From ancient times until now Nafplion presents great historical importance. It has been found in possession of other people several times, such as Franks, Venetians and Turks. It is probably owned to its advantageous position. The peak of Nafplio was the period from 1827 to 1834 when it was the capital of the newly established Greek state. Black page in its history was the murder of Kapodistrias, who was the first governor of modern Greece, in 1831.
The best beaches in Nafplion:
Nafplio ,and generally the county of Argolida, has some very remarkable beaches which you can visit and enjoy swimming if you choose the region for your summer vacation. Below we suggest some of the best:
- Arvanitia: Arvanitia is very close to the center of Nafplio and you can get there on foot. It has pebbles and clear blue water.Proof for that is the award of a blue flag. It is also well organized. Many choose to make their walk in Arvanitia in the evening since the view is very beautiful.
- Karathona: Karathona perhaps is the most crowded beach in the area and it is situated close to town. It is large in size, with magnificent view of the castle and sandy. Definitely it is one of the best options for families. He has been awarded with a blue flag. Finally, it is well organized and it has facilities for watersports.
- Kondyli: It is also called Agios Nikolaos and it is a beautiful beach with crystal clear deep water and pebbles which is located 17 kilometers from Nafplio. The scenery there is very beautiful and on the edge of this area there is the church of Saint Nicholas. Some segments of Kondyli are organized and some not. It is ideal for naturism in some remote locations.
- Neas Kiou Beach: A beautiful beach approximately 4 km away from Nafplio. It has healing properties because of algae and it is also preferred by people who are engaged in windsurfing. It has shallow water and sand.
- Kantia: A beach which definitely worths to be visited. It has deep clear water and it is large enough so you will find quiet areas and others with beach bars and sunbeds. Also in the area you will find nice restaurants in which you can enjoy your food. It's a good choice for surfers.
- Tolos: A beach quite popular in foreign tourists which is also known as Psili Ammos. It has a large area and also golden sand and the water is quite shallow and warm. There you will find beach bars and facilities for watersports. It has won a blue flag.
- Plaka Beach: A fairly quiet and family beach but also popular enough. It's name is ought to the plates which are at its seabed, which makes it unique and a favorite place for many people. It is huge in size so it has beach bars and facilities but as well as it has quiet spots for those who seek for tranquility and relaxation. Finally Plaka has an organized camping.
What to do in Nafplion:
An idyllic and romantic city which is able to enchant you all year round. Below there are a few of the things you should do before your holidays at Nafplion is over.
- Walk in the Old City: A great spot in the city of Nafplion. Don't leave without wander through the picturesque narrow streets of Old City. The walking tour will start from the historical square of the constitution. During it you will find many sights and historical monuments. Visit the archaeological museum, the museum of the Peloponnesian Folklore Foundation, the old mosque and see mansions and special architectural buildings with multicultural character.
- Visit Palamidi: A local landmark. It is a Baroque fortress, built by Venetians in 1687. If you have the strength you can go to the castle by the stairs, otherwise you can drive. The view is priceless.
- Visit Bourtzi: Bourtzi or otherwise Castelli is one of the highlights of Nafplion and it is ideal for romantic walks. Also, music festivals and events are often organized in Bourtzi. It is a small island - fortress in front of the harbor. It was constructed in 1473 to contribute to the defense of the region.
- Travel by boat: A unique experience through which you can discover beautiful places for swimming and see caves and other natural beauty spots around the county.
- Do nature activities and discover unique places: In Nafplio you can go horse riding, cycling and hiking. The whole county has particular points, with magnificent natural beauty and view which will leave you speechless. Moreover by this way you can visit archaeological sites and major attractions of the area. Also, if you like more extreme sports you can do sea kayak.
- Do watersports: In the summer months you can try watersports in many of the beaches of Nafplio. If you are a fan of windsurfing prefer beaches like Kantia and Nea Kios since they have waves quiet often. Also Nafplion has organized diving schools. Don't miss the opportunity to admire the magnificent seabed. Usually, the dives take place in Karathona.
Where to stay in Nafplio:
In Nafplion you will find many options for your stay in order to choose the right according to your needs. Below we suggest just some of the options you have at your disposal.
Our Hotel suggestions near Nafplio in Peloponnese
Rent for Vacation Nafplio in Peloponnese
Beaches, Restaurants, Bars, Shops near Nafplio in Peloponnese
Latest Google Reviews of Nafplio in Peloponnese
Map Nafplio in Peloponnese
Explore more places in Halkidiki
Share this & let your friends know about where you are or where you plan to go next