Rhodes Island in Dodecanese
Rhodes is located in the southeastern Aegean and it is the largest of the Dodecanese islands and actually one of the largest islands in Greece. It is just 14 klm away from Turkey . The island's capital has 55000 inhabitants. Overall the island has about 115000. Even in Winter, Rhodes is full of life because of the university. Since ancient times the Island was a crucial point and a meetup place for different cultures because of its position. One of the Seven Wonders, the Colossus was constructed at the entrance of the harbor of Rhodes. Unfortunately after a destroying earthquake in 226 b.C. the statue collapsed.
Best beaches in Rhodes:
Some of the best beaches in Greece are in Rhodes. In the list bellow we picked and recommend to you some of them.
- Faliraki: Faliraki is one of the best known, if not the best known beach of Rhodes. It is beautiful and large (4 km) and it is about 15 km away from the city of Rhodes. Generally this area is full of life and is one of the most popular destinations on the island for tourists. Faliraki is completely organized and offers watersport facilities. Near the central beach you will find a beach suitable for nudism if you are a fan. Lastly, in Faliraki there is one of the largest marine parks in Europe.
- Elli: Elli beach is located a breath away from the city of Rhodes and it is another cosmopolitan beach. It has sand and wonderful clear blue waters. If you do not like crowded places better to avoid it. It is an usual choice both from locals and tourists. It was described by the British author Lawrence Durrell as the most beautiful Mediterranean beach. Finally, It is completely organized.
- Lindos: Another one very popular beach. Basically it consists of two beaches which are located in the same bay. It has crystal clear shallow waters and also it is organized. However if you can not stand the crowds and bustle better to avoid it. Especially in recent years Lindos is flooded with people throughout the day.
- Tsambika: The beach of Tsambika is about 25 km from the city of Rhodes and it is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful beaches of the island. It is a large beach, so in some places it is organized and in others not. It is an almost quite beach which is prefered by families. You can try watersports there.
- Afantou: Another great and clean beach, close enough to the city of Rhodes, ideal for all tastes. Some parts of Afantou are organized enough and some more quiet and deserted. In Afantou we will have the opportunity to try tasty food and also there are watersports facilities. Although the sea deepens suddenly, it is generally calm so it is preferred by many families.
- Ialysos: Ialysos is just 8 kilometers from the city of Rhodes and is an ideal beach for the lovers of watersports, especially for the lovers of windsurfing. The beach is clean, large in size and well organized. Unfortunately, the access in some parts of Ialysos is only possible for the customers of the hotels above but in others is free to all.
- Prasonisi: Prasonisi is undoubtedly one of the most impressive beaches of Rhodes. It has sand and crystal, clear waters. It is connected to the coast by a narrow strip of sand and essentially it is something between island and peninsula! Prasonisi is another great choice for those who love surfing.
- Anthony Quinn: One of the most beautiful and famous beaches of the island which owes its reputation mainly to the movie "The Guns of Navarone" which was filmed there. It has green waters, pebbles and dense vegetation.Perimetrically there are steep rocks so it is not ideal for children and vulnerable groups. The morphology of the area is unique thats why it is a very good choice for sea diving.
- Glystra: A very quiet beach, ideal for those who want to spend their vacations calmly. It is very small, with blue crystal waters and mostly it is covered by sand. It provides its visitors sun loungers and there is a canteen.
- Kallithea: Locals will surely recommend this beach to you! It is approximately 11 km from the city of Rhodes and it is definitely impressive in a morphological base. There, you will find a canteen and the necessary to be comfortable and enjoy the crystal clear waters.
What to do in Rhodes:
Rhodes is undoubtedly an all-inclusive suggestion for vacations. It offers many choices to you so it is impossible to get bored. In the list below we propose only a few of the many things you can see and do there.
- Wander through the Old, Medieval City: If you are in Rhodes certainly must visit and walk in the old city. The most famous street there is the paved street of the Knights. You will come across many attractions and museums like the Palace of the Grand Master (Castello), the Jewish Synagogue, the Archaeological Museum in the Hospital of the Knights, the Mosque of Suleymaniye and many more. The medieval city is included in the list of World Heritage of UNESCO since 1988.
- Visit Lindos: Lindos is a picturesque and characteristic village of local architecture. When you go to Lindos visit a classic captain house, wander in the cobbled streets and admire the difference of this place. There you can eat, swim in the well known beach of Lindos and stay if you wish.
- Visit the Seven Springs: The Seven Springs are undoubtedly a small natural paradise which is unknown for many people. Basically it is a valley with springs and dense vegetation consists mainly of pine trees. If you are there you will see ducks and peacocks in the water. You can accompany your trip with traditional local food in the tavern which is nearby.
- Visit the Aquarium of Rhodes: The Aquarium of Rhodes is located near the city center and it provides a different worth seeing attraction. It is one of the most important marine research centers in the country. There, you will have the chance to meet many strange marine species of the Aegean.
- See the Valley of the Butterflies: The Valley of the Butterflies is one of the most famous parks in Europe. There, from June to early September you will see countless butterflies. In this unique habitat there is dense vegetation, ponds and other natural attractions which will make your visit a memorable experience.
- Visit monasteries and churches: Rhodes has impressive Temples to visit so it is a nice choice for all lovers of religious tourism but also for people who have a historical interest in this region. Some monasteries and churches you must see is the church of the Virgin of the Castle(11th century), the church of Agios Fanourios (14th century), the church of Agia Triada (15th century), the monastery of Agios Nicholas (4th century), the church of Panagia Filerimos (15th century) and the church of Zoodochos Pigi (15th century).
- Taste local foods: Rhodes is famous for its local products so you have to taste them during your stay there. Some of these are special wines, figs, honey, various sweets like melekounia, Fanouropita and sweets of almonds, various meals such as Yiaprakia / Sarmadakia, Giahni, oil pie and tahini pie, and drinks such as koriantolino. If you want to buy some of them you will find them in local cooperatives.
- Do watersports: In many beaches you can try watersports, surfing, canoeing and fishing. Many of those are listed above in detail. Indicatively, a very good choice with strong winds and big waves is Prasonisi. Moreover Anthony Quinn beach is ideal for sea diving because of its caves and its unique marine morphology.
- Drive your car and discover unique villages: Take your car and visit traditional villages. Some of the most picturesque are Monolithos, Vati and Emponas.
Where to stay in Rhodes:
Rhodes is a big island full of life especially in summer but also in winter. The accommodation options are many and very different so you can choose the most suitable for you. If you want you can stay in a luxury villa or a hotel that offers all the comforts inside, but on the other hand you can invest in something more economical and simple. It's up to you to choose the perfect for your holiday exactly as you dreamed.
Our Hotel suggestions near Rhodes Island in Dodecanese
Rent for Vacation Rhodes Island in Dodecanese
Beaches, Restaurants, Bars near Rhodes Island in Dodecanese
Map Rhodes Island in Dodecanese
Explore more places in Halkidiki
Share this & let your friends know about where you are or where you plan to go next