Santorini Island in Cyclades
Santorini (Thira or Thera) is the southernmost member of the Cyclades islands in Greece. It is an ancient island well known for one of the largest volcanic eruptions in history. Archaeological excavations show that the island has been inhabited since the Neolothic times. After the volcano eruption the central part of the island sank. During the 7th and 6th centuries BC Santorini experienced a high commercial development and became one of the most important trade centers of the Aegean due to its geographical position.
Mysteries of the sleeping volcano, gorgeous beaches and amazing sunsets compose the beauty of this island and today Santorini is one of the best destinations of the world.
Best Beaches in Santorini
These are a few among the most prominent beaches in Santorini:
Perissa Beach is an impressive and organized beach, 10km south east of Fira, which has black volcanic sand. Perissa beach stretches for two miles along the coast with incredibly blue waters. You’ll also love the scenery as the beach is right next to an enormous rock called Mesa Vouno. You can also join the diving club or water sports.
Kamari Beach is one of the most cosmopolitan beaches in Cyclades Islands. It is located 10km south east of Fira, right next to Perissa beach, with the giant rock between them. It’s a sandy beach with blue waters and amenities like sunbeds, umbrellas, water sport facilities and diving club.
- Red Beach
Red Beach is the most impressive beach of Santorini. It is located 12km south west of Fira. It is a sandy and pebbled beach with hot, blue water. The beach is organized with sunbeds, umbrellas and a canteen. Snorkeling is highly recommended.
It is a beautiful golden sandy beach next to Kamari at a distance of about 9 km from Fira. If you have a family with small kids, the Monolithos beach is ideal for you. The waters are shallow and there is also an organized playground keeping kinds busy. It offers jet skis, beach volleyball and basketball court, as well as a soccer field.
Vlyhada is a long black, sandy and pebbled beach with blue waters. It is one of the most beautiful and best organized beaches, located on the south side of Santorini. The white volcanic rocks create a magical landscape.
- Agios Georgios
Agios Georgios is one of the most popular beaches of Santorini located on the south side of the island, 12km south east of Fira. It is a black sandy beach with blue waters. There are also sunbeds, umbrellas, water sport facilities and beach bars.
Perivolos is a popular and busy beach in Santorini located on the south side of the island. It’s a long black sandy beach with crystal blue waters. You can find many amenities including beach bars and restaurants which offer umbrellas and other facilities. There are also water sports and beach volleyball court.
What to do in Santorini
Many activities can make your time memorable. These are the best things to do in Santorini:
- See the gorgeous sunset: Santorini’s astonishing sunset is one of the most famous in the world. Many people gather in the village of Oia to experience this breathtaking phenomenon of nature. The views from Firostefani that is nearby are spectacular as well.
- Go on a volcano tour: The tour of the volcano of Santorini is a beautiful experience. Climb the top of the volcano and see active crater of Nea Kameni, swim in the hot springs of Palea Kameni and discover the village of Manolas.
- Go on a wine tour: Santorini has a long history in viticulture and wine tasting is one of the must things to do. You can book for a private wine tour that will take you to the countryside. The guided tour usually takes guests to three wineries and includes: lessons in wine-making, tasting of at least a dozen different Santorini wine varieties, sampling of the best local cheese, olives and salami and tasting of local beer at the Yellow Donkey.
- Taste local food: Sit under the shade of a tree in a picturesque Greek restaurant by the sea, taste a glass of wine or ouzo and let the locals guide you through a wide list of traditional seafood dishes. Try Greek mussels, shrimp saganaki, lobster pasta, crispy fried squid, sea bass, fried anchovies, cod with garlic sauce, octopus with pasta and crab salad.
- Take a donkey ride in Fira: Donkeys are an important part of the local tourism that provides visitors much-appreciated rides. Catch a donkey at the old port at Fira and have one of the most beautiful experiences in Santorini.
- Beach hopping: Santorini is also very proud of its idyllic beaches and beach hopping is certainly a great activity to engage into. The sand ranges from black, red to beige and white and the water is crystal blue.
- Explore villages: Santorini has many traditional hilltop villages that every tourist loves to explore. Oia, Fira, Firostefani, Imerovigli and Akrotiri are among the best villages in Santorini. It is great to have chat with the locals and know a bit about the culture and tradition of this beautiful island.
- Water Sports: If you are looking for some adventurous time in your holidays then Santorini has some great opportunities for you. Perissa and Kamari are ideal for activities like scuba diving, waterskiing, jet skiing, wind-kiting and banana-boating.
- Go sightseeing: Visit the archaeological discovery in Akrotiri, the ancient Thera, the Naval Museum of Oia, the Koutsoyannopoulos Wine Museum in Vothonas, the Archaeological Museum of Thera and the Museum of Prehistoric Thera.
Where to stay in Santorini
Either you prefer luxury villas or hotel rooms in Santorini you will find the most suitable place for you to stay. We suggest you the best villas in Santorini, built in a traditional style following the Cycladic architecture, to make your stay unforgettable.
Our Hotel suggestions near Santorini Island in Cyclades
Rent for Vacation Santorini Island in Cyclades
Beaches, Restaurants, Bars near Santorini Island in Cyclades
Latest Google Reviews of Santorini Island in Cyclades
Map Santorini Island in Cyclades
Explore more places in Halkidiki
Share this & let your friends know about where you are or where you plan to go next